I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. Madam Benoit

People always say the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen , nor touched , nor heard but are felt in the heart . But for food it's all in it's looks, flavours and taste.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sweet Rice Flakes (Avil Nanachathu)


This has been always my mom’s handy to satisfy our hunger after coming from school.
I recently had this from my friend Biji’s house, aunty had prepared and it reminded me those days I enjoyed eating this sweet snack. Aunty is a great cook and she knows a lot of ‘Palaharam’ recipes. I love eating her idiyappam and potato stew. Well, I’ve decided to learn those snack recipes and will share with you soon provided my cooking results are success.

Here is the recipe

Beaten rice/avil - 1 cup
Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
Sugar – 3 tablespoon
Water – 3 teaspoon

Sprinkle water to beaten rice. Add Sugar and grated coconut. Mix through with hand. Keep aside for some time. Your snack is ready.

You can prepare this in other different style also.

Beaten rice/avil - 1 cup
Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
Powdered jaggery – 3 tablespoon
Fried Sesame Seeds ( Varutha ellu) – a few
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
Water – 2 teaspoon

Add powdered jaggery and water to the pan.
Cook until jaggery is melted.
Add the Beaten rice to it. Stir well Add grated coconut, cardamom and fried sesame seedsMix well. Remove from the flame and let it cool

1 comment:

  1. thanks a ton for the avil recipe. My mom also used to make this especially for the post school hunger. I just made this right now with your recipe and it tastes decently well. So thank you !!

    i remember my mom's one looked brown while this one looked white. Should i be getting a brown rice avil ? or is it brown jaggery ?

    ReplyDelete

Sumi - Please Leave your Comments here.... I love to hear from you about this!!!!