I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. Madam Benoit

People always say the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen , nor touched , nor heard but are felt in the heart . But for food it's all in it's looks, flavours and taste.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pumpkin Dish (Mathanga pulingari)

I didn’t like pumpkins at all. Even in my house dishes with pumpkins were made very rarely. I had a taste of this in my in-laws house. Gradually I too started liking this.
Now this has become one of the common dishes in my menu.



Here is the recipe

Chopped Pumpkins – ¼ kg
Daal – ¾ cup
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Chili Powder – 1 tsp
Mustard – A pinch
Red Chilies - 3
Tamarind water – ¼ cup
Salt to taste
Curry leaves - A few
Oil – As required

Cook Dal in some water. Add chopped pumpkins.
Once the pumpkins are cooked add salt, chili powder and turmeric powder.
Stir for few seconds.
Add tamarind water. Let it boil until the gravy tends to be little thick.
Add salt if needed. Mix well. Switch off the flame.
Prepare seasoning in the pan by adding ingredients one by one (mustard, curry leaves, red chilies). Add it to the gravy. Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sumi - Please Leave your Comments here.... I love to hear from you about this!!!!