I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. Madam Benoit

People always say the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen , nor touched , nor heard but are felt in the heart . But for food it's all in it's looks, flavours and taste.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Plum Cake/Dry Fruit Cake





I always believe my Christmas is not complete until I eat ‘elite’ plum cake. That brand is very popular in kerala and most of the bakeries choose it.
I know it’s not Xmas but I tried making it just for fun. I just had a chat with one of my friend before preparing it. But the process she explained was very lengthy. She told people use a bit brandy/rum for this and will soak the dry fruits in it for weeks/months. I don’t have so much of patience to wait two three weeks and I also found it difficult to get various ingredients. So I made it in my own way. I was eagerly waiting near the oven as if I’m waiting for the exam results till my cake was baked. To my astonishment the cake was a success and it tasted good.




















Here goes my recipe

For Caramel – ½ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon water, ½ cup water
Milk – 11/2 cup
Butter - 50gm
Powdered sugar - 1 cups
Eggs - 1
Plain flour (Maida) - 2 cups
Baking powder - 2 teaspoon
Vanilla essence - 1 teaspoon
Red Wine – 2 tablespoon
Dry Fruits - ¼ cups (raisins, nuts, fruity, dates, cherries and almonds)

Prepare the caramel by adding ½ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon water keeping in low flame.
Swirl the pan in between. Remove from the flame until the caramel becomes thick brown in color. Now pour ½ cup of water into it. Let it cool completely.Heat the milk till it boils. Add Butter to it.
Beat the eggs. Add powdered sugar to it. Beat until it become soft.
Mix the flour and baking powder, add this to the egg mixture.
Again add milk-butter mixture and vanilla essence to it. Mix well. Add the caramel and red wine. Mix thoroughly.
Add dry fruits. Mix up.
Pour the batter into a buttered baking dish. Microwave in power P8 (80%) for 8 minutes. Let it to cool for sometime. It’s ready to eat….





No comments:

Post a Comment

Sumi - Please Leave your Comments here.... I love to hear from you about this!!!!